Saturday, January 3, 2009

Round 4

I had a quiet moment at the hospital and the computer here was free so I thought I'd take a moment to update on Bree's latest treatment.

So far Bree is done with 2 days of her 3 day chemotherapy. This round she received carboplatin, doxirubicin and etoposide (I'm documenting this now for later journaling purposes). The first day she received all three drugs. Today she only received 1 and tomorrow will be the same.

She's been doing well so far. Yesterday she was slightly nauseated and seemed agitated but she can have several different meds to help calm her stomach and keep everything down. She's done well with her NG feedings and has even slept through the night...Thanks to the WONDERFUL nurses here! They were able to sneak in and get her vital signs without waking her. Yea!! Let's hope that continues tonight! I'm crossing my fingers!

After this round and when Bree's counts are back up we will be able to get some tests done to see if all this chemotherapy is working. We are praying for a miracle...asking that this cancer be rid from her body. She will do some of the same tests she did in the beginning...catscans, bonescans, MiBG scans and a bone marrow biopsy. She will also undergo an echocardiogram and hearing tests to measure how her heart is holding up and if she's had any hearing loss from the treatments. I am doubtful that there are any hearing or heart problems because she is the lightest sleeper and can hear us from across the room! And the little thing is already trying to army crawl (well, she's moving backwards, but she's moving!) so I'm pretty sure her little heart is strong as can be!

So that is the plan for now. Sorry if this was kind-of short, I just wanted to do a little update. I'll continue to do more updates of how she's doing once we are home. We are also praying that she won't get any other bacterial infections after this treatment is over. She's been through so much already. One less hospital stay would be so nice! I realize it could all be so much worse but being home is ALWAYS so much better! Until the next time...



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the Update! You are so amazing to squeeze in an update amidst the bustle of hospital activities. I will fast for Bree and phenomenal results from the treatments!! God Bless...

Ashleigh and Zebb said...

Always anxious for an update to see how things are going, and always greatful for a full nights rest! Definitly keep her in my prayers and (zebb does most of the fasting for me these days) love you guys!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to hear that she's doing well. We continue to pray for her and your family as well ;)

Kara said...

This blog is so great to keep in touch with your family during this crazy time. We missed you at the Christmas Party. We are praying for your family and know that complete healing is possible through faith.

The Reed Family said...

I love you so much Kari! And love that baby girl! I was in heaven holding her while she slept yesterday... She truly IS an ANGEL! We continue to fast and pray and EXPECT A MIRACLE!! Call me if you need anything! Love you, Ris

Steph said...

Yeah, I'd bet her heart is ok--she was definitely a bundle of energy yesterday! She was so cute--I had so much fun seeing both of you. She is such a sweet little baby, but so tough at the same time. I hope you had another good night last night!

Still fasting and praying for her!

Jill said...

Kari I just wanted you to know that we are still praying and fasting for Bree. I was touched today when my 10 year old daughter, Alison, decided she was going to fast for Bree. She usually only fasts one meal, but today , for Bree, she fasted two. She even wrote you a note and we will be putting it in the mail tomorrow. We pray that she will be healed and you and your family will have the strength to make it through all of this. We love you and PLEASE call me if I can come and sit with Bree at anytime. We'd also love to have Gunner over at any time. Call me, because I hate to bother you. I'm waiting:)

Nuestra Familia said...

Love all 5 of you! We will keep praying and fasting for your little Breezy! Thanks for the update, don't worry if it's short, we are always thinking and wondering who you guys are doing. Love all the Christmas pictures. You are such a strong and amazing woman and mom to your darling kiddos.

brownymama said...

Glad to hear it's going well so far. We fasted for Breezy today. She's always in our prayers and in our thoughts. Love you!

Annie and Clayton Evans said...

What an amazing family you have...We are always praying for little Bree and I love reading your updates..thanks for letting us in...I am glad she is doing so well considering all she has been through!!! We are all thinking of you!!!

Amy J. said...

Kari, you don't know me. I was getting some free digi scrapbooking supplies off your friend Shannon's blog when I found her link to your blog. I don't usually click on strangers links but I felt prompted to come to yours. My name is Amy and I live in Washington state. I am also a member of the LDS church and in May of 2000 when my oldest son was 4 1/2 he was diagnosed with Leukemia (A.L.L) He too was high risk and your story touched my heart. He is now 13 1/2 years old, passes the sacrament each Sunday and is President of his Deacons quorum. He is doing great with no currant signs (besides his port scar) that he ever had childhood cancer. I want you to know that I will now be one of the many strangers that is praying for your beautiful baby girl and the rest of your family. I know the road is hard and long, but looking back they were also years of extra special closness and love for our family. Thank you for touching my heart today.

Amy

Jessica said...

Although I don't actually know you, I truly admire your strength during this trial! It is just amazing to me how you find ways to renew your faith during such a difficult time. (You've also helped me find ways to renew mine as well.) You have such a great story to tell, and as soon as Bree can understand she will recognize how strong her mother is.

Lana said...

I'll be praying that she stays healthy and strong--and for good results on the scans afterward. You're always in my prayers!!

Mia said...

Im so happy to hear that she is doing ok. I love your updates and look forward to them. I really miss hanging out with you! Youre so much fun to talk to! Kiss little Bree for me, and stay strong and happy!!!!!

Aimee's Family Journal said...

Keeping fingers crossed here for you! I have shared your story with some of my friends and I know they check in and follow you too. You are such an inspiration!

Branden and Sarah said...

Kari you don't know me, but I too happened across your blog while using Shannon's digital scrapbooking. I have been so touched with your story. I have a little girl born the same day as your Bree, and I admire you so much for your strength and positive attitude. Thank you for sharing such a personal experience and for being such and inspiration to me. Your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.
-Sarah